Wednesday 12 March 2014

45. ARTIST INTERVIEW

Interview with ‘Trip’

Trip, the latest signee from T.D.E. is not your average Hip-Hop artist, last year his TRILL EP debuted at no.1 on the Hip-Hop charts, and his debut album ‘HONEST TRUTH’ is one of the most anticipated releases of 2014. T.D.E. reps ensured they snatched him up as soon as possible and now he’s here with us.  

So, Trip... what do you feel you bring to the industry?

Personally I feel I supply a flavour that could only be found in T.D.E. with the range of artists that you find in the collective we all bring you something different. I feel like I bring new lyrical content and a spin on what is commonly seen across the industry, and play on what is expected. At the end of the day with being an eclectic individual I can listen to a range of genres that others may not like, and flip it on its head and have others questioning why they didn’t think of that themselves. 

Why did you decide to sign with T.D.E.?

Being from New York, I have to say that me and my homies grew up listening to Jay Rock’s old mixtapes and knowing that he was on the label really made me what to see what they could offer me. The funny thing was when I went to L.A I was there for a meeting with Interscope and while I was waiting in the lobby Top Dawg walked past. We started conversation and he asked what I was about and told me that he needed someone young and fresh for his empire. From that conversation, I was convinced that T.D.E. was the place for me and things went from there.

What type of beat do you need to encourage you to get writing?

To be honest, I feel like I’m at a place in my career where I feel as though I am able to adapt to anything thrown at me, however growing up in the church made me always want to work with sampled choir beats.

For example ‘Never let me down’ – from Kanye’s ‘College dropout’ was the type of stuff that I always used to freestyle to when I started rapping.

So with that being said who are your biggest influences when it comes to the music you make?

I feel like I’ve been influenced by a lot of people, I’d have to say – Slick Rick, but also Snoop Dogg’s album ‘Doggystyle’, that album taught me the art of storytelling and how you can take every day events and make them into poetry over a beat. Also the fact that I know how to play drums, artists like Dizzy Gillespie and Miles Davis help me to understand how to follow beats and improvise on top of them. My mind automatically drew from these artists’ style when putting something together, to create something that was unique to me.

Are you working on anything at the moment?

At the moment I’m in the studio working hard and trying to put together an album for the end of summer. And I am also doing some features on Jhene’s album; I’m a huge fan of hers so it’s an honour to be on such a project.

That’s Jhene Aiko right? How did you meet?

YES! She’s amazing, and so gorgeous! She was working with Kendrick on ‘Stay Ready’ and I walked into the studio, just to listen in... we started talking about her project and I gave her some of my music (with Kendrick’s permission of course) and that was it. 

Along with Jhene’s project, what other projects are you working on other than music?

I actually am working on clothing; I am a huge fashion lover. I actually style myself, and pay close attention to what is and is not in fashion at the moment so I thought that a line would be a great idea. I basically want to extend out and offer my fans more of what I have to offer.

Obviously as a musician, you must listen to music on a day to day. What are you listening to at the moment?

I’m actually fishing through a lot of albums, I’m the type of person that will download albums and listen to them in alphabetical order. So at the moment I am finishing off Little Dragon’s current album, I’m a fan – which is something that many wouldn’t expect. 

You seem to have a very eclectic taste in music name 3 artists that you love that many won’t expect you to. 

Paulo Nutini, Mumford and Sons and Ray LaMontagne.

Who would you say is your dream collaboration?

I would love to collab with Kanye, back in his prime however now based on lyrical content either Common, and production-wise Q-Tip.

Are you in a relationship?

Yes I am, but for privacy reasons I won’t say who with, but we’ve been dating since high school and I never want to be with anyone else.

Final question... what can we expect from your album?

For those who have been rocking with me from day one, expect to see a continuation of the progress that I’m making. I’d definitely have to say that this is my best project so far. For those who are new to me, expect simple, but bangin’ beats that allow you to reminisce on old’skool hip-hop whilst I take you on a journey through my life.

Thank you – 

It’s my pleasure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment