Friday 31 January 2014

13. FOCUS GROUP


Here is a video of my focus group with 3 of my peers who judged a total of 4 music magazine covers and answered questions that I asked them on their opinions of each.
I found it really helpful having a range of views from different backgrounds i.e races, and sexes ;This allowed me to understand what may have possibly been more appealing to individual people, however I ensured that all of these individuals were fans of the genres that I listed on my survey and they gave me their honest views along with those that took part in my survey.

5 quotes + explain how they'll impact magazine

1. "The colours work really well together and they also stand out a lot" - reference to the XXL cover that has Chris Brown on the front. - Theo

2. "the XLL cover is more of a Hip-Hop kind of vibe, whereas I feel like the (Billboard magazine) with Janelle Monae could appeal to people that like R&B or Soul, maybe a wider audience than the XXL" - Selina

3. "i don't really like The Rolling Stone cover, I think the layout is a bit boring and quite simple". - Theo

4. I don't like this one (XXL cover with Chris brown on the front) because I feel like there's too much on the page, and the colours, the texts that's on placed on the background  are similar shades so would make it a bit difficult for people who are colourblind..." - Nia

5. "The artist on the front of the magazine cover definitely attracts me to purchasing it, and the fact that it is a more current artist as well." - Selina

With these quotes I am actually able to understand exactly what the members of my focus group really felt about the particular magazines from the genres, They allowed me to get a range of opinions, and now am able to generate an idea of what should and should not be included in my own magazine cover. this focus group helped me gain a basic idea of what does/doesn't visually work well and what those in my peer group prefer to see on a magazine cover. Each of their judgement were fair and in turn I will use them all again when doing my focus group on my actual magazine draft.

No comments:

Post a Comment